Health 101: Sensory Sips & Snacks
Posted: 30 October, 2017
By: Karlien Terblanche
At the moment everyone – especially in Cape Town – is aware of the importance of saving water. But this is no excuse to skip your 2 liters a day. At Sensory Intelligence® Consulting we are all too aware of today’s busy, on-the-go world. Unfortunately our bodies often take a backseat and we neglect to take care of ourselves.
Here are 5 practical tips to start your wellness journey:
- Buy a water bottle and keep it on your desk. This will remind you to keep hydrated and give you a reason to go browsing for a nice bottle. Pick something that reflects your style and personality – make drinking water fun!
- If you don’t like plain water, zoosh it up! Some great water mixes are: strawberries and mint, lavender and lemon, watermelon and basil and mango and pineapple. Or be creative and make your own gorgeous water mix. You can even share your favourite water recipes with friends and colleagues.
- Keep healthy snacks with you in your bag or at your desk at all times. Proteins like nuts are a great source of sustained energy and their crunchiness gives great self-regulation when we are stressed. Prevent getting “hangry” because your body will start to crave sugar and have you heading for the vending machine before you can say “chocolate”.
- Make sure you eat a substantial breakfast. Most of us rush out of the house 5 minutes past our deadline. But skipping breakfast will catch up with you later in the day when your energy levels dip and can have you over-indulging at lunch or even dinner. Top entrepreneurs and CEO’s like Richard Branson eat a high-fibre meal every morning.
- Plan ahead! Spend an hour over the weekend planning your meals. You can prepare ahead and freeze them, or simply write out a meal plan and do some shopping for the week. It will save time in the week and your body will thank you when it’s well-nourished and taken care of. A little planning goes a long way!
With these tips we aim to just re-focus on the core basics of health, namely drinking water and eating healthy. After all, if you don’t take care of your body, where will you live?
Do you want to know more about your body and brain and what regulates you best? Your Sensory Matrix™ provides easy, practical and effective tips and tools to keep yourself calm, focused and working optimally.
By Karlien Terblanche