Have you ever wondered what makes Sensory Intelligence® Consulting’s services different from other wellness interventions? Read on …
What makes Sensory Intelligence® Consulting different?
Our world is getting more complex by the day: our senses are constantly being bombarded from all directions. Due to this overstimulation of our sensory systems, our focus, concentration, productivity and quality of life get more affected than we necessarily realise. We are seeing high levels of disengagement within work teams, families and at schools.
There are many tools on the market that look at cognitive strategies, in other words understanding behaviour from a top-down approach. This means using our minds to understand our bodies and our environments. What makes our approach different, is that we use a bottom-up approach. Our approach emphasises using our bodies and environments to understand our minds and our behaviours. More than that, it teaches practical and easy-to-implement strategies to use our bodies in an attempt to influence our top-level functions, e.g.:
- effective learning
- decision-making abilities
Sensory Intelligence® Consulting is unique in that we provide neuroscience and researched methodology to optimise people and space in their different environments, e.g. at home, at school, or at work. We know that humans are unique and different in the way they experience the environment, and that a ‘one size fits all’ approach does not work!
Why does Sensory Intelligence® Consulting use occupational therapists (OT’s) to provide its services?
Our founder and CEO, Dr. Annemarie Lombard, is an occupational therapist. Her PhD research looked at the unique relationship between environment and performance, based on an individual’s sensory thresholds. She employs occupational therapists to deliver our services – ranging from individual and corporate wellness to educational workshops to parenting support. OT’s are uniquely trained in understanding the connection between the environment, your body and your brain. We look at our client holistically and offer unique solutions that fit with their environment, situation and sensory thresholds. No other profession is trained in sensory integration and has such a holistic view of the human mind and body.
What do we use to determine your sensory thresholds and unique assess?
Annemarie developed the Sensory Matrix™, an online tool that determines your sensory thresholds across the different sensory systems. The results of the Sensory Matrix™ are consolidated into a personalised and customised 25-page report that:
- promotes self-awareness, by showing your sensory thresholds for all your senses with practical tips on how to self-regulate to reduce stress levels
- helps you understand your environment and those around you better.
The Sensory Matrix™ ultimately assists you in improving your health and well-being, as well as boosting your productivity, focus and energy. No other tool looks at the connection between a person’s body and their environment in this unique way.
What services do we offer?
- We offer individual Sensory Matrix™ debriefs and coaching for anyone who is interested in finding out more about their unique assess. Find out more about the Sensory Matrix™ here.
- We offer Corporate Wellness workshops. These workshops are based on the Sensory Matrix™ results of employees and customised according to your company’s needs. Find out more about our corporate wellness workshops here.
- We offer educational workshops and teacher training to assist teachers in their important roles as educators. Found out more about the educational workshops here.
- We offer parenting support based on the Sensory Matrix™ results of parents and children. To find out more about parenting support, email [email protected]
Do you have any other questions? Email [email protected] or call 061 523 6323. We are happy to answer them for you!
Remember, KEEP CALM and call your Sensory Intelligence® OT!
Written by Karlien Terblanche, a specialist facilitator with Sensory Intelligence® Consulting, with a special focus on adults and corporate groups. She holds a Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy from the University of Stellenbosch and specialises in the field of mental health. She has extensive experience in the area of sensory integration in adults and is currently exploring sensory mindfulness as a preventative strategy in mental health and wellness. She is passionate about working with both individual clients and groups and aims to guide her clients to reach their full potential. She fully believes every person can become the hero of their own story.